Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Shifting Places

I had an opportunity to move to Canada so I took it and ended up in Vancouver. Didn’t know a soul there. The only friend I had at first was my camera. Quickly I became engrossed with the activity at YVR - Vancouver’s international airport. Living in the US for so many years where an overkill of security measures leads to regular run ins with the law for being where you shouldn't be, I found it a novelty to be able to stand at the end of a runway with screaming jet liners mere fathoms overhead.
 


More experiments with time and exposure lengths ensued.


And scale.




 I documented other parts of Vancouver’s geographical culture. The water infuses this metropolitan area with much of it’s character. The shot I was most pleased with in my six months of residence was a tanker sitting still far out in the Georgia Strait as the days light began to dissipate. 

Light quality is perceptibly different to a photographers eye even within a small radius of a given latitude. I can usually pinpoint a location near enough in images or movies shot on the west coast from the quality of the daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment